Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB Hub with software controllable power supply f

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB Hub with software controllable power supply for SDR
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 10:49:42 +0200

Hi Vanush,

turning the device off sounds like an odd solution for a temperature
problem.
Also, usually you're experiencing frequency drift with temperature,
which can, if your receiver architecture can't correct, will lead to
degraded SNR.

Thermal noise will only significantly increase if the temperature shift
is not negligible compared to the effective equiv. noise temperatures of
your system, which /should/ be dominated by the first amplifier stage.
So if I'd suggest anything, it would be just adding a cooler/fan/peltier
element to that, and see if your performance measurably increases, just
to verify it's a temperature problem at all.

Greetings,
Marcus