Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ColtrolPort IC Timeout

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ColtrolPort IC Timeout
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:26:09 -0400

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Dan CaJacob <address@hidden> wrote:
I have a gui-less flowgraph that runs in the background with sudo privileges.  While I can run ControlPort normally from GRC, it doesn't seem to work properly with my backgrounded FG - I get timeout errors.  My config files are setup so that both FGs do actually call ControlPort and Perf Mon (verified in log files).  The FG and the monitoring apps are all running on the same PC.

Setup is Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with GR 3.7.4, built on the weekend.

Attempting to run Perf Mon, I get:

$ gr-perf-monitorx 127.0.0.1 23456

Hey Dan,

When you're running the flowgraph that you're trying to connect to over ControlPort, can you verify that they are setting up the correct endpoint? If you run it yourself, not as a background task, it should print out information about the endpoints. That will tell you the port number. Just want to check to make sure your config file is getting read correctly and setting it up on port 23456 like you specified.

We really should move the endpoint information to be sent out by the gr-log system so you can redirect the info to a file and see the info without requiring you to have access to stdout.

Tom

2014-05-22 11:01:54.450720 /usr/bin/gr-perf-monitorx: error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/Ice.py", line 984, in main
    status = self.doMain(args, initData)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/Ice.py", line 1031, in doMain
    return self.run(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/ctrlport/IceRadioClient.py", line 102, in run
    ex = self.parentClass(radio, port, self)
  File "/usr/bin/gr-perf-monitorx", line 74, in __init__
    self.newCon(radio, port)
  File "/usr/bin/gr-perf-monitorx", line 88, in newCon
    child = MForm(radio, port, len(self.conns), self)
  File "/usr/bin/gr-perf-monitorx", line 696, in __init__
    knobs = self.radio.get([])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio_ice.py", line 1221, in get
    return _M_gnuradio.ctrlport.GNURadio.ControlPort._op_get.invoke(self, ((knobs, ), _ctx))
ConnectTimeoutException: exception ::Ice::ConnectTimeoutException
{
}

Attempting to run Ctrl Port Mon, I get:

A blank canvas screen like this: http://i.imgur.com/8N88fcU.png

and console output like:

$ gr-ctrlport-monitor 127.0.0.1 23456
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Extension:    129 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
  Resource id:  0x4200001
X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) 128
  Extension:    129 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 5 (X_ShmCreatePixmap)
  Resource id:  0x4200012
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x4200013
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x4200013
ctrlport-monitor: radio.get threw exception (exception ::Ice::ConnectTimeoutException
{
}).

My ctrlport.conf file has just one uncommented line:

ControlPort.Endpoints = tcp -t 5000 -h 127.0.0.1 -p 23456

I had extended the timeout, attempting to resolve the problem, but had no luck.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob