Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Maximum supported frequency

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Maximum supported frequency
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 22:50:08 +0200

Hi Mohamed,

I can not really point you to more reference than your basic (discrete) signal theory textbook[1].
Basically, when processing sampled signals, time stops mattering, since samples are but numbers. Thus, "sample" is no unit.
the notion that a digital signal has a frequency is only that it has periodic properties every N samples --- that doesn't automatically match to any "real world" frequency in Hz.
Thus, *every single line* of signal processing in GNU radio is based on this concept, and there is no explicit code related to this.
But for example, take a look at the signal source: Computational, it does not even *care* what you enter as frequency and sampling rate. It just computes values, as fast as it can and as often as it's asked.
These samples, on the other hand, contain values with complex values on the unit circle (|x| == 1). The rate at which the argument of each sample increases in comparison to the last sample is the qoutient of sample rate and desired signal frequency, $\frac{f_\text{signal}}{f_\text{sample}}$. So if you set $f_\text{signal}
      = \num{200}$ and $f_\text{sample}
      = \num{1000}$, you will get the very same samples as when you set $f_\text{signal}
      = \num{2e5}, f_\text{sample} = \num{1e6}$. GNU Radio doesn't care about these numbers at all. All GNU Radio itself does is shuffle samples around. Some blocks use frequencies to calculate what should happen for one sample. Thus, sample is the unit (if you want to call it like that at all).

This is the basic Software Radio concept most beginners find hard to understand. When I started dealing with digital signals, it helped me a lot to really do the sampling in my head --
to try to be always aware of the fact that I'm now working with a series of numbers with indices rather than with a function of time. I don't know if this really helps you...

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] GNU Radio's website has a page of recommended readings:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/SuggestedReading
Pick a book from the "Digital Signal Processing" list.