Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio / Software Radio conceptual question

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio / Software Radio conceptual question
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:39:35 -0400

On 06/16/2014 10:24 PM, Michael Rahaim wrote:
Hi all,

I have a relatively high level question regarding gnuradio and software radio in general. Is it a fair generalization to say that gnuradio is operating at the application layer and is essentially emulating a physical layer implementation (or the implementation of other lower layer protocols)? For example, if I have a link between two USRPs (more specifically, N series USRPs), the digitally sampled received data comes in on the ethernet NIC and moves up the stack to the software radio "application." The signal processing that would typically be done in lower layers is then handled by the application.

The second part of my question is, given a flow graph in gnuradio, what sort of steps would be necessary to "push it back down the stack" or implement in a chipset such that it can be used as an interface in a typical network stack? Is this something that anyone using gnuradio has considered or should I assume the next step would involve re-implementation?

NOTE: This is by no means for a commercial product, but rather for demonstration. My research has led me to use gnuradio for some proof of concept implementations and I'm curious how much additional effort would be required to port the work to a practical device - for example, implementation on a smart phone. (you can read this as "will it cause me to postpone graduation a few weeks? months? years?")

Thanks in advance - any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Rahaim
PhD Candidate
Boston University, Boston, MA

This presentation is several years old at this point, but I give it to ham-radio clubs from time to time:

http://www.sbrac.org/files/sdr_introduction.ppt