Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why SWIG has been selected as C++ wrapper for Pyt

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why SWIG has been selected as C++ wrapper for Python for GNURadio ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:23:04 -0700

On 06/20/2014 02:42 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:

> - It was expected that if SWIG wasdone right, GNU Radio could end up
> with multiple scripting language interfaces [2]. Nowadays, people are
> content to use python, especially since we now (feels like yesterday)
> have support to write gr::block classes in python, which of course
> needed a lot of gateway work, so (to my knowledge) there haven't been
> efforts to make use of more than the C++ and Python SWIG capabilities[3].

There was work done at one point that actually made it into the tree to
output Scheme wrappers for GNU Radio.  This was good, in that it forced
us to distinguish Python specific SWIG constructs vs. the generic SWIG code.

Ultimately, the original author of the Scheme wrappers was not around to
maintain it, and the feature was removed after some time.

I've heard anecdotally that someone got C# wrappers working, but I've
never seen it.

I personally have some interest in wrapping GNU Radio for golang, and
have been looking at what size effort that is, but it has been a pretty
low priority.

(agree with Tom's, Marcus', and Martin's replies on everything else.)

--
Johnathan Corgan, Corgan Labs
SDR Training and Development Services