Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD not working after clean pybombs install

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD not working after clean pybombs install
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:33:40 -0400

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM, John Meloche <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I did find a simlar entry to this problem on the forum from last month but there was no usable solution for me unless I missed something.  Also I have not found a way to allow me to change the USB permissions. Any advise will be a great help.

Thanks
John

I have this issue on TWO DIFFERENT MACHINES.  Here is what I did on each of them:

Completely fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get libasound2-dev (because I need to use an 8 channel USB sound card with my GRC app)
install and configure pybombs (used all default settings)
./pybombs install gnuradio

each time I want to run gnuradio-companion I must first set the enviroment (a minor annoyance)

./pybombs env

You only need to run this once to create the environment setup file.

source /home/xxxx/target/setup_env.sh

You can put this in your ~/.bashrc (or equivalent) file to set up your environment when you log in.

sudo /home/xxxx/target/lib/uhd/utils/uhd_images_downloader.py

Again, this only needs to be done once, unless the UHD images change.

and then

gnuradio_companion (GRC 3.7.5 GUI works fine)

However, I have no connection to the USRP B200

uhd_find_devices or uhd_usrp_probe returns the following:

UHD Error:
         USB open failed: insufficient permisssions.
         See the application notes for your device.
No UHD Devices Found

running lsusb returns the following:

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 2500:0200

according the information in ~/target/lib/uhd/utils/uhd_usrp.rules, ID 2500:0200 is the B200 USRP

Copy the uhd_usrp.rules file into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and then reload the udev rules:

$ sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Tom