Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What do Packet Encoder and Packet Decoder do?

From: Nguyễn Văn Lý
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What do Packet Encoder and Packet Decoder do?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:30:26 +0700

Hi Martin,

Consider the following flow graph.
File Source ------->Throttle --------> Packet Encoder -------> Packet Decoder --------->File Sink 2
                                                                          \
                                                                           \---------------> File Sink 1
If the File Source loads a small-size image (around 50 kB), then the Packet Decoder works properly and File Sink 2 can open the image. However if the File Source load a bigger image or video (9 MB, for example), then the File Sink 2 achieve only more than 1 MB, and it can only display a part of the image/video. This surprised me.

Then I added a File Sink right after the Packet Encoder (it's called File Sink 1) to see what happened after the Packet Encoder. If I let the Sample Rate = 32k, then the File Sink 1 receives more than 9 MB, but the File Sink 2 still receive more than 1 MB. If I let the Sample Rate be faster, 1M or 4M, then both the File Sink 1 and File Sink 2 only get more than 1MB.
I wonder if something related to CPU got out of ability with high Sample Rate or Packet Encoder - Packet Decoder

Best Regards,
V-L

Van-Ly Nguyen,
Signals and Systems of Laboratory - SSL
Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications - FET
University of Engineering and Technology - UET
Vietnam National University, Hanoi - VNU

Tel: (+84) 978 819 406

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/30/2014 04:14 PM, Nguyễn Văn Lý wrote:
> Thank you Tom,
>
> I found a note in documentation of the *Packet Encoder *block** where it
> declares that the *Packet Encoder* is for use with the gnuradio
> modulator blocks: GMSK, DPSK, QAM. I don't know why only these modulator
> blocks are supported, but not some popular things like BPSK or QPSK.
> Another thing is that my task requires the use of OFDM.

These should also work (they are basically subsets of QAM), but *you*
have to make sure the absolute phase is correct *before* going into the
packet decoder.

> Suppose now I have a simple flow graph as below:
> File Source -------> Packet Encoder -------> Packet Decoder --------->
> File Sink
> I wonder what types of file can be loaded and processed properly in the
> *File Source* block (text, image, or video ...), and the same question
> for the *File Sink* block :-)

Any file. The packet blocks really don't care about the contents.