Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stable on Linux, many crashes on Windows and OS X

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stable on Linux, many crashes on Windows and OS X
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 19:08:39 -0400

On Aug 6, 2014, at 6:50 PM, Stefan Oltmanns <address@hidden> wrote:
> yes, I have not modified my program at all:
> I added a #error "Broken allocation engine" to volk_malloc.c at the
> beginning of the other allocation engine. I tried to recompile, but
> compiler stopped with my error message. As I did not re-run cmake I´m
> sure this engine was also used before.
> Next step I removed my mutex-hack from freq_xlating_fir_filter and
> changed the #if for posix_memalign test in volk_malloc.c to #if 1, in
> other words posix_memalign is always used. Compiled without an error and
> runs stable.
> So I´m pretty sure bug #710 is the reason.

Very good.  Thanks for that thorough testing.

> The only thing I´m not sure is: You said you verified that
> posix_memalign is used by GnuRadio on OS X. I checked my build process,
> I did not add any OS X 10.7 compatibility command, I used exactly the
> cmake line from the guide:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/MacInstall and
> posix_memalign was not used
> I think either the #if-clause in volk_malloc.c needs an addition for OS
> X >= 10.8. or cmake-file needs to be modified.

Ah; different beast.  I was talking about the "posix_memalign" used by
gnuradio-runtime.  GR provides a coarse emulation of this function if not
provided by the OS.  You can verify whether the GR install uses this function
or not on OSX via "nm -a  /opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-runtime.dylib | grep
memalign" and it should return nothing for OSs that provided the function; it
should return "posix_memalign" with some other stuff for OSs that do not
provide the function.

I will look into the volk_malloc you mention.  Volk is designed to be separable
from GNU Radio, and so it provides it's own OS-interface different from GR's.
Thanks for the pointer! - MLD