Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SNR Peak AMplitude and Noise Floor Calculation

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SNR Peak AMplitude and Noise Floor Calculation
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 05:39:21 +0200

Hi Ankit,

>I calculate the SNR, Peak Amplitude of the signal and the noise floor.
This first questions seem to be rather of a DSP nature than specific to GNU Radio -- for example, SNR only makes sense when you define what your signal is. There is not "physical" quantity that describes SNR in a piece of spectrum, it all depends on what you want to receive. You'll need to define a signal model, and mathematically quantify what SNR is, and then build a flowgraph that calculates it.

> using FFT block in companion how do I extract the frequency samples
and Power level for every sample.

The output of the FFT block is the FFT of the input vectors; I think this is what you refer to with frequency samples.
Power level, again, is depending on how you define signal power, but it's common in signal to use the $L^2$ norm of a signal, and thus, the square root of the sum of squares over a period of time.

Greetings,
Marcus

On 26.09.2014 22:19, ANKIT KHUSHU wrote:
My question is if we have an incoming signal coming from a usrp, How do
I calculate the SNR, Peak Amplitude of the signal and the noise floor.

And using FFT block in companion how do I extract the frequency samples
and Power level for every sample.

I am very new to gnuradio and very basic software skills.