Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for lo

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for long (want feedback)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:37:29 -0400

On 09/29/2014 05:31 PM, George Nychis wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Chris and Martin.  What I'm going to do is keep CGRAN down until we have some sort of plan/resolution and use it as a form of motivation.  Every time I've managed to resurrect CGRAN from the dead, I just leave it go and forget about it for some time again.  I think that the down time might help us come to a conclusion sooner.

Several people have e-mailed me about access to the repository.  I was able to get the repo back up, and it should be anonymously readable here:  https://www.cgran.org/svn/projects

To address Chris' thoughts, I've always felt CGRAN was useful in two aspects:  1) To find useful and up-to-date projects (albeit rare), and 2) To find more historical projects that highlight the capabilities of GNU Radio and SDRs and to resurrect and/or build from them.  I know the latter has been a killer, but I've found multiple times that people came to CGRAN to dig up old code and build something new from it.  But if anything, these two types of projects need to be clearly marked and separated.  Academically, I know that students are very willing to take brutally dead code and use pieces of it for projects.

Maintenance over time is simply just difficult.  Once projects are complete, many people move on but GNU Radio keeps on chugging.  I know that I lost time to maintain my projects.  Pybombs could at least guide the user to get correct versions, let them know there is a mismatch, etc.  It can also provide the link from a project to where the actual code and repository are.  I think that pybomb entries can point to github locations, right?