Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why is fft output complex?

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why is fft output complex?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:46:50 -0400

Brad:

You are treating an FFT as if it were a spectrum analyzer which produces a magnitude or energy profile of how much signal is at a particular frequency.  The FFT does much more than that.  It tells not only what magnitude is at a frequency but what phase angle the signal has there.

Let's take an example:

You would not want the fft of   sin(t)+cos(2t)  to be the same as sin(t)+sin(2t).   You would want the result to show that the stuff at 2t is 90 degrees out of phase depending on what signal you input.

Bob