Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NC-OFDM and Cross sub-carrier Interference

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NC-OFDM and Cross sub-carrier Interference
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:23:38 +0200

Hi Vahid,

a few things:

On one hand, to be really orthogonal, all your nodes would need to
exhibit no frequency offset. As long as you don't have a common clock,
be it through a clock distributor, GPSDOs or by doing estimations of
the own offset on the nodes and accounting for that, you'd get energy
of bins end up in others.

Then, it's intuitive that one tends to drive the DAC with maximum
values (ie. using the whole -1,1 magnitude range in GNU Radio). Try
adding a factor of 0.7 before! OFDM especially is a bit sensitive to
the transmitter clipping, and that might increase the looks of your
spectrum. I don't know your transmitter, so I'm going to point out
that OFDM can have quite an ugly PAPR, and although you feed in
symbols that themselves as time signal would never lead to complex
magnitude values greater than 1, the IFFT of a vector of these quite
likely can.

The same as for sample values goes for TX gain: tone it down a bit, if
possible. Does your time-domain signal on RX look clipped? Turn down
the RX gain.

Then: Yes, you can gain quite a bit by using a filterbank instead of
the good ole IFFT. Tom kind of has *the* blog post (you'd call it
article) to exactly your question:
http://gnuradio.squarespace.com/blog/2014/4/23/peer-review-of-a-dyspan-paper.html

And Tom wrote the polyphase filters in GNU Radio. Feed one big
tons-of-taps channel filter in, and apply a bit of elegant math,
smaller sub-filters and a bit of rotational magic done with an IFFT,
and you get nicely filtered channels. You should give it a try, it's
fun :) You might want to grab fred harris' slides on polyphase
filters, if you're interested in the background of how it works, which
should be around somewhere in the internets, but I can't find that
bookmark :(

Greetings,
Marcus