Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to save bit stream?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to save bit stream?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:07:50 -0400

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Su Li <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

After demodulation, I get a stream of "0" and "1" in UChar format, I want to save this stream to a file and have a look at these raw bits before decoding them. I tried to use "File Sink" block to save them, but I cannot open the saved file with "gedit". It can be opened with  "GVim", but the content are not 0 and 1. They are "^@" and "^A".

Is there anyway to save the bit stream so that when I can open the saved file I can get the stream shown as "0" and "1"?

The flow graph is shown as following

​Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Su

Files are saved as binary bit streams. What you're seeing is the ASCII representation of random 1's and 0's for each bit in the data stream. Have a look here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#What-is-the-file-format-of-a-gr_file_sink-How-can-I-read-files-produced-by-a-file-sink

Tom