Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building BOOT.BIN for Zedboard to use with gnurad

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building BOOT.BIN for Zedboard to use with gnuradio-dev-image
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 11:38:56 -0800

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Nowlan, Sean <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 12/09/2014 12:16 PM, Nick Foster wrote:
>> A number of different distributions include a u-boot.elf suitable for
>> the Zedboard. I'm not a linux boot expert, but u-boot seems pretty
>> platform-agnostic when paired with a suitable FSBL.

A lot of u-boots I've found point to a ramdisk filesystem instead of a partition.

That option should be pulled in from the devicetree, at least for sane u-boots! The one I linked appears to be a sane u-boot.

>> The images here include a u-boot.elf that works with Zedboard, ZC702,
>> ZC706, etc.
>> http://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/zynq_im
>> ages
>>
>> Email me directly and I'll just send you the .elf if you're interested.

>A pox on people using ancient stuff.
>I think Sean wants to load an fpga image early in the boot process.

Hey, if it loads the kernel and FPGA it does everything I need it to do. The linked one is used in ADI's FMCOMMS distro and loads an FPGA image before the kernel boots, if you put the bitfile into the compiled boot.bin created by the Xilinx SDK.

Is there anything a newer u-boot buys me? If so I'll go through the legwork of rebuilding from recent sources. If not I'll keep on keepin' on. ;)

--n

Not trying to do anything fancy; just trying to reproduce Jonathan Pendlum's FFT filter example, which was written back when that ancient stuff was current. I think it'd be good for that to be updated for people who want to run GNU Radio on Zynq. I know RFNoC will change how that's done with E310, but we don't need RFNoC for MicroZed/ZedBoard/ZC70x. I'm happy to help with the writeup if/when I figure all this out.

>Try the image I posted a few days ago and drop a file called fpga.bin in the FAT partition. U-boot SPL will load that fpga.bin file then load u-boot.
>You can now build the fsbl directly from u-boot but dropping the ps7* files in the right place. (See the OE recipe for how that is done there, and copy if you are building u-boot from Xilinx git)

I'll try your newer image.

>My understanding is the current release of Xilinx tools will give you
>ps7 files with a license that is compatible with the GPL.

>Philip

>> --n
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Nowlan, Sean
>> <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  I'd like to use the gnuradio openembedded SDK and image that are
>>> available here [1] to reproduce the work here [2] without building my
>>> own openembedded image. I'm having trouble getting a working boot.bin
>>> for Zedboard without doing a full openembedded build. I know that
>>> there are licensing issues that may prohibit distributing an FSBL
>>> file, but I've gone ahead and done that using the directions in [2].
>>> I'd like to compile boot.bin with the zynq_fsbl.bit I created with
>>> Xilinx 14.6, uImage, and the device tree binary distributed in [1].
>>> However, in order to use the build script in zynq-acp, I need
>>> u-boot.elf, and [1] only provides u-boot.bin. Is there another way to compile these without doing a full openembedded build?
.>>