Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help me help myself

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help me help myself
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 21:41:42 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Richard Bell <address@hidden> wrote:
Actually, your replies helped. I was not aware or in the mindset that branchless_clip was a generally used method for clamping fixed or floating point values. Because of that, I was limiting my searches to gnuradio related stuff (googling "gnuradio branchless_clip"). Now I know it is a general method of doing something.

Helping people who are getting comfortable is a good thing to do. It will ensure they use the tools. There is a limit to this of course. No one wants to see basic level questions being asked all day.

Another thing you can always do is create a simple test project to call a function or block that you don't understand and see what outputs different kinds of inputs produce. It can be a pain to do this kind of thing, especially with a C++ project where the basic setup is more complicated than a simple Python script, but it's good education anyways.

Also, to re-up Marin's comment, when you've run into these situations where the documentation on something like this is lacking, please feel free to submit patches with better docs to help explain it to others.

Tom