Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted QPSK Constellation

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distorted QPSK Constellation
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:22:51 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Brian Padalino <address@hidden> wrote:
It's a constellation plot for sure - says it right on the block in the
PNG, but it's all internally generated anyway.  There should be 1
perfect phase, then 3 out of phase points.  No noise - no
phase/frequency offset.  Timing shouldn't be an issue here even if it
were a normal plot.

I think the issue is no matched filter on the other side.  RRC
filtering won't look very appealing to the eye, but RC filtering
should match what you expect.

Try adding a matched RRC filter before you do the constellation.  You
should see the 4 samples/symbol and their trajectories as they
converge onto the 4 nice points.

Brian

Yes, indeed, Brian is correct. The modulator block uses an RRC pulse-shaping filter that also interpolate to some number of samples/symbol. So what you are seeing is due to the ISI (inter-symbol interference) as a result of the RRC filter. Applying a matched RRC filter will remove (most of) the ISI.

Tom