[Discuss-gnuradio] Python errors running flowgraph - first attempt

From: Chris Hallinan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python errors running flowgraph - first attempt
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:26:22 -0500

Newbie to gnuradio.  After struggling for a couple weeks with build
issues, I finally have a yocto-based build for an embedded x86_64
target.  I'm trying to execute a flowgraph that I demonstrated
successfully on Ubuntu 14.  I copied the resulting .grc file from
Ubuntu to the x86_64 target.  It is based directly from gnuradio
tutorial, a broadcast FM receiver.

gnuradio-companion runs on my embedded x86_64 target, but issues three
XML parse errors on startup:

Preferences file: /home/root/.grc
Block paths:
   /usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
   /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
   /home/root/.grc_gnuradio

XML parser: Found 3 erroneous XML files while loading the block tree

Displaying these errors from Help shows all three are similar with the
text "Element <block|param>...does not follow DTD, expecting..."

Then gnuradio-companion starts up and displays my flowgraph.

When I try to 'Run' it, I get:

Showing: "/home/root/gr-tutorial-broadcast-fm-rx.grc"
Generating: "/home/root/my_gui.py"
Executing: "/home/root/my_gui.py"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/root/my_gui.py", line 8, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import Qt
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt4/Qt.py", line 1
    from PyQt4.QtCore import *\n

Looking at Qt.py, it contained 8 lines that looked like this:
from PyQt4.QtCore import *\n
... <repeated 7 more times with various modules>
SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Once I "hacked" the '\n' from these lines, and reran the flowgraph
using 'Run', now I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/root/my_gui.py", line 8, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import Qt
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt4/Qt.py", line 2, in <module>
    from PyQt4.QtDeclarative import *

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt4/QtDeclarative.so:
undefined symbol: _ZTI16QDeclarativeView

This looks like some type of package mismatch? I'm not a python guy :(

My yocto-based build configuration looks like this:
meta-sdr: master
meta-python: dizzy
meta-oe: dizzy
oe-core: dizzy

Any advice is appreciated on how to resolve this.

Regards,

Chris Hallinan

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.