Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple Frame Detection

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple Frame Detection
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 08:57:59 -0500

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/08/2015 05:27 PM, Brian Padalino wrote:
> The feedback loop cannot be realized inside the flowgraph since
> everything needs to be feed forward.
>
> This is a great example of how someone may want to do RF burst
> processing which may not necessarily be "real-time" but due to
> dead-air or guard bands might be able to catch up on the processing if
> you didn't have to keep processing every last incoming sample -
> especially at a higher sample rate.  Moreover, it shows how blocks
> could be used to message each other to create feedback loops and
> convey downstream information to upstream processing elements which
> may care - things like SNR estimation, timing information, etc.

Well, even if you're *not* using OFDM, have a look at the codes (and the
ofdm_rx GRC example). We have state machines and feedback loops for
bursty reception, just as you described.

You can look at my work-in-progress branch where I'm taking the OFDM frame header/parser concept and generalizing it even more for easier use with other non-OFDM modems:

https://github.com/trondeau/gnuradio/tree/packet_handling

Needs a bit more work, cleanup, and docs, though.

Tom