Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Amplitude settings in uhd_siggen

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Amplitude settings in uhd_siggen
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:50:44 +0100

Dear Zealdeal,

you should know how OFDM works: An OFDM symbol is nothing more than the
IDFT of a vector of permutated, possibly padded symbols.
No, for the sake of a simple example, assume your symbol vector is
[1,1,1,...,1]; without doubt, you'll notice that the IDFT of that vector
has an entry that exhibits a magnitude much larger than 1, whilst the
other elements of the IDFT have a much smaller magnitude (should be 0!).
This uneven distribution of power in time domain is a problem so common
to all OFDM systems that there is a fixed term coined for that: the PAPR
(peak/average power ratio); I'm pretty sure that you've stumbled across
that in whatever introduced you to OFDM.

Best regards,
Marcus