[Discuss-gnuradio] GPSDO and B2100

From: Sharath Ananth
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPSDO and B2100
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:47:37 -0800

Hello,
I recently installed a board mounted GPSDO (TCXO) on my B2100. Specifically I
am using this in a USB powered mode and the web-site did say that the TCXO
works off the USB power. I am using a passive antenna at the moment.

Now most of the time I get warning display "No GPRMC message found". Only in
two cases during the day have I seen the green LED on the GPSDO turn on, in
which case the warning message went away, so I know all is well with the board
and the mount.

Now my questions:
(i) Is there a way to force the B2100 to use the internal clock and not wait
for the GPS fix for all applications? For example I don't want to change the
uhd_usrp_proble executable, but would like the board to use the internal clock
and not wait for GPS fix. Is there a way to toggle the mode from automatic to
internal clock for all applications via a jumper or other means? I don't want
to recompile other working
 applications just because I have installed the GPSDO.

(ii) Does the active antenna work of USB power?

(ii) Once the GPS actually starts working, how can I use gpsd to get the gps
data. That is, the web page http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_gpsdo_b2x0.html
says "Other information can be fetched as well. You can query the lock status
with the gps_locked sensor, as well as obtain raw NMEA sentences using the
gps_gprmc, and gps_gpgga sensors. Location information can be parsed out of the
gps_gpgga sensor by using gpsd or another NMEA parser." The last sentence is
what I want.

I do have gpsd and gpsdx installed on my Mac. However neither can be configured
to actually get the data from the GPSDO module.
For example the options in the gpsdx does not see an external USB GPS to begin
with.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Sharath