Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bidirectional communication between attached bloc

From: marco Ribero
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bidirectional communication between attached blocks
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:36:14 +0000

Il giorno lun 20 apr 2015 alle ore 16:30 Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> ha scritto:

We've never been hot on the idea of using VOLK for GPU stuff. VOLK kernels tend to do one thing at a time and don't worry about data movement (too much) because the SIMD registers are right there. Going to GPUs takes a lot longer, so you want to spend more of your time there once you get the data moved across. With VOLK, we'd be going back and forth, which is a huge performance killer.
Exactly, unlucky I cannot make this kind of porting.

I'm also not the biggest fan of CUDA for GNU Radio simply because it's too hardware specific. I'd be more interested in seeing OpenCL implementations -- but even that has it's limitations for support. Theano looks nice from what I've heard (mostly from Tim and his gr-theano work), and I don't believe that it's necessarily CUDA.

I'm agree with the fact that CUDA is not the best, because it's hardware specific. But portability doesn't imply performance.
I had spent a look over gr-theano. It's a nice library based on CUDA which give interesting blocks like FFT and FIR. One of its limitation is the mandatory device-host memcpy, in my opinion.

An interesting library that I was not able to find is GRGPU. I've only read about it on papers/forums, but I didn't found any repository still working, unfortunally.