Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scanning desired frequenies

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scanning desired frequenies
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 18:31:34 +0200

Hi Ashraf,

thanks for the nice words and the detailed problem description.

Yes, I think there are ways to achieve what you want; you will have to write a few GNU Radio blocks, but I think it's possible to do after lecture of the GNU Radio guided tutorials [1]; if you encounter any obstacles, the mailing list probably will have an open ear for you :)

You could write your own block that passes through samples, and controls the USRP. For starters, that could be done in python, if that feels more familiar to you than C++. It will have to be a general block.

As a first step, that block would simply wait for a tx_time tag coming in. That tag value contains the time at which tuning happened.
Use that time to calculate the time at which the next tuning should occur.
Give your block the ability to call your usrp_source's set_command_time() with that time.
Use message passing to issue the tuning command [2].
After each tag, pass a fixed amount of samples <= (inter_tune_time*sampling rate), and just consume the rest, until the next tag appears. Pass through the rx_freq tag to the first passed sample.

Connect your block's input to your usrp_source's output, and message_connect your block's message output to the usrp_source's message input.

Connect the output of your block to a stream to vector; connect that to whatever processing you want to do. For example, you can do an FFT.
After the FFT, you could attach another block that you'd write yourself, that would take the rx_freq tag again,and based on that, would for example put the FFT vector into the right position in an array of FFT vectors.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials
[2] http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_uhd.html#uhd_command_syntax