Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Generate a specific wave form

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Generate a specific wave form
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:33:47 +0200

Antonny,

>  Why do you wanna know everything I wanna do and the purpose of
> my research?
Two things:
a) we're just naturally curious, since we are developers and
researchers; but here more importantly:
b) it's been very hard to understand what you want.

All the people that have answered you are experienced  in software
development and well-used to GNU Radio. You have not really shown to be
highly capable of tapping that resource.

> For now, what I need is this "random multiplier". That's it!
Yet another contradiction!

So this random multiplier would be extremely easy to build if that was
what you wanted. It's likely not, because we have pointed you to the
multiplier block, and you were not satisfied. So we try to help you, and
to do that, we try to understand *what* you actually *want* to do.
You've started with showing us a diagram without axis labels and said "I
need this signal". What?! We're really trying to understand what you're
doing, but you started off with "I need this signal", switched over to
"I need something to stop the flow of samples at times", and now we're
back to "I need a multiplier". All this doesn't make any sense. I'm left
with the feeling you're not half sure what you actually want to do. So
the natural approach here is asking you to give us an idea of what you
want to do, from a perspective "further away".
> If you don't want or can't help me, that's okay.
I think 17 email replies (including this one) is a clear sign: We *want*
to help you :)  Now it's my turn to ask you to not get this wrong:
You're just making it really hard to do so. Most people would have,
especially after being asked to do so, long come up with a graphical
overall sketch of the parts of your system, but you're ever so dodging
specific questions; no wonder we haven't worked out something together.
I had to ask three times to answer me an a/b/c question, and you replied
with something that contradicts the "random multiplier" you're
mentioning now; that's not really a basis for cooperation.

I think Nathan really hit the spot: You're not really good at explaining
what you actually want to do, which definitely also happens because
you're not very familiar with how GNU Radio makes you work. That's not
your fault -- but it can really only be solved by going through some
kind of training, which is what the guided tutorials do.

Your problem is either extremely simple, in which case you should be
able to solve it yourself as soon as you're familiar enough with GNU
Radio, or it's quite complex, in which case you need to be quite used to
the tools you have to even communicate your approaches and problems.

Best regards,
Marcus

PS: No one here is taking offense in you wondering why we ask so many
questions, but as a hint for the future: Whatever you do, *always* be
thankful and open if people show interest in your research and
development, especially if these people might end up spending time
helping you, and I think it's pretty obvious that if someone tries to
help you, and he asks for a bit of background on what you're doing,
that's because it might help him help you. How can you not assume this?