Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] trouble with QAM mod/ WX GUI Constellation Sink

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] trouble with QAM mod/ WX GUI Constellation Sink
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:04:12 -0700

On 17.07.2015 14:56, Bill Eaton wrote:
>> What I meant was that you plot the result of your timing + phase recovery
>
>> into an XY plot, that would take care of those additional points
> you're seeing.
>
> I have to confess that I don't even know what that means or how to go
> about accomplishing it. I have to take baby steps because I'm a baby.
> ;-) If you could point me to an example or some other things to try,
> that would be helpful.

OK, this is starting to get into basics of digital comms and this
mailing list is probably not a good place for that.

In brief, what you're plotting is the output of the QAM Mod -- which is
*not* a QAM constellation, but rather the complex baseband signal that
can be transmitted. This does include the QAM constellation.

> I looked through the examples that ship with GNURadio and didn't see
> anything obvious. Also, I looked through the GRC block tree to see if I
> could try something. There's a Synchronizers section. Something from there?

Try the examples in gr-digital.

> You thought maybe it was oversampled. It occurred to me that maybe the
> X-Y chart rate should be samp_rate/8, but I tried that and the chart
> still look largely the same.

That's not quite the right terminology, but if you plotted only a subset
of the samples of your signal, you would see the constellation.

It seems you're fine using GNU Radio itself, so I recommend you get an
intro book to digital comms and map what the say to the GNU Radio examples.

Cheers,
Martin