Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] multiple sources synchronization ?

From: jean-michel . friedt
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] multiple sources synchronization ?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:22:00 +0200

> There's nothing in your system that would make both RTL dongles and the
> soundcard start sampling at the same time, so naturally there's a large
> time offset between these. You will need to time align these signals
> first, before you can use the sound card signal to determine in which
> state (reference or unknown signal) your switch is; this is at least as
> hard as the problem of aligning the RTL dongles themselves.
> To be honest, I'd rather write an estimator that tells me, only from the
> signal, whether each RTL dongle is observing the reference or the signal.

right, this is what I ended up doing yesterday: since the reference and measured
signals exhibit different power, I am recording the phase difference as well as
the magnitude from the dongle connected to the switch, and use the magnitude
information to differentiate the two states of the switch.

> How do you frequency-synchronize both dongles? Have you modified them to
> use a common oscillator, or do you also plan to do that based on the
> observation of the 50MHz tone?

Yes I removed the quartz from one dongle and am using the 28 MHz output from
the other dongle to clock the former. I believe that the slow phase slip is not
important for passive radar applications since the cross-correlation
reinitializes
the phase, but for my interferometric measurement I need the long term phase
drift information.

Thanks for the answer, JM