Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when build GNU Radio using cywin64

From: Craig Easton
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when build GNU Radio using cywin64
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:13:25 +0000

Hi.

If you are trying to get GnuRadio compiled on Windows then I'd suggest doing a "native" build rather than using Cygwin. Despite what it says here: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/WindowsInstall GR 3.7 *will* build properly using VisualStudio and the result is fully usable (with a tiny tweak, see my bug report here: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/799). While the install/compile process is complex, and has a very steep learning curve, I found it to be more successful (eventually!) than  the Cygwin approach, (although if you are new to this like I was, don't expect to get it working without a few weeks effort!) I managed to get a working GR 3.7.7.1 compiled from source (with the the RTLSDR and OsmoSDR blocks) about 6 weeks ago, and It's been working with my HackRF Blue (and RTL dongle) pretty well.

I would say though that's the process is enormously painful! The Pothos project install seems *much* more polished: https://github.com/pothosware/pothos/wiki (with just a single installer for everything! In an ideal world this is what  the GnuRadio installer should be aiming for I think), but at the time it didn't seem easy (or perhaps even possible) to add the OsmoSDR blocks to Pothos that I needed to support my HackRF Blue.

CE.