Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-companion development

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-companion development
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:31:21 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Albin Stigö <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Seth,

I'm fairly new to gnuradio but I've spent the last couple of weeks
digging through the code of the runtime and grc. GRC doesn't work that
well on my macbook because of issues with qt and gtk2 (especially
hidpi "retina" displays)...

I suspect there are very few gnuradio users on mac but I became
interested in writing a Cocoa port of grc, if only for learning more
about SDR (this is a hobby for me). Cocoa is very well suited for
writing these kinds of visual applications (unfortunately they are not
really portable, or very limited so, using gnustep)

Not true. Quite a few mac users.

A QT port sounds really interesting as the model layer could be
separated and reused in a Cocoa app.

It would also be really neat if it was possible to test the flow graph
directly/dynamically without using python (dynamically build it in gcc
using the c++ api, perhaps in a separate process)... Although I
realize this is a much larger undertaking.

I recently found this and thought it was quite inspiring (web app):
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gui/

--Albin

A principle of the redesign is to separate the GUI elements from the actual methods, so yes, hopefully this leads into an easier way to redesign to GUI part for more native support in, say, OS X.

Tom