Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ControlPort 3.7.8rc1

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ControlPort 3.7.8rc1
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 09:46:37 -0400

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM, bob wole <address@hidden> wrote:

> There is a directory
> gnuradio-runtime/python/gnuradio/ctrlport
>

> where you in controlport related stuff.
>
> - - Volker
>

> Am 04.08.2015 um 10:09 schrieb Jeon:
>
> Dear Bob,
>
> A few months ago, I've asked a similar question (
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2015-06/msg00197.html>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2015-06/msg00197.html)
>
> and Tom gave me his paper in SIGCOMM.
>
> Inspecting GNU Radio Applications with ControlPort and Performance Counters
> Thomas Rondeau, Tim O?Shea, and Nathan Goergen
>
> You can get one in http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2013/srif.php
>
> It does not fully describe how it can be used, though, through this you
> can get a hint.
>
> Regards,
> Jeon.

>> Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
>>
>> I just installed frest gnuradio 3.7.8rc1 with control port enabled. I
>> fetched gnuradio using
>>
>> git clone --recursive https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio.git
>>

>>  Gnuradio enabled component shows
>>
>> * gr-ctrlport
>> * * thrift
>>
>> However, I do not see any *gr-ctrlport directory *inside the gnuradio
>> directory. Where is the source code for control port? Also there are no
>> examples for using control port.
>>
>> --
>> Bob

You can find more information on these two pages:

http://jenkins.gnuradio.org/manual/doxygen/page_ctrlport.html

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ControlPort

ControlPort was reintroduced just after the 3.7.7 release so we had time to
test it, but it will be available in the upcoming 3.7.8 release. The manual
page linked above is from our weekly development builds.

This points you to two apps that are installed with ControlPort:
gr-perf-monitorx and gr-ctrlport-monitor. Other good places to look for
usage is in our QA code. Look in gr-blocks
for qa_cpp_py_binding.py, qa_cpp_py_binding_set.py,
and qa_ctrlport_probes.py.

Tom

ControlPort is written in python ?

When I ran qa_ctrlport_probes.py. I got a segmentation fault first time. Then I ran the other two qa codes they passed successfully without any core dump. When I ran qa_ctrlport_probes.py again it passed successfully.

address@hidden:~/gr_examples$ ./qa_ctrlport_probes.py
INFO: Apache Thrift: -h sdr-dev -p 57403
Ran 5 tests in 0.509s

OK
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

address@hidden:~/gr_examples$ ./qa_cpp_py_binding.py
INFO: Apache Thrift: -h sdr-dev -p 35595
..
Ran 2 tests in 0.105s

OK

address@hidden:~/gr_examples$ ./qa_cpp_py_binding_set.py
INFO: Apache Thrift: -h sdr-dev -p 38301
..
Ran 2 tests in 0.134s

OK

address@hidden:~/gr_examples$ ./qa_ctrlport_probes.py
INFO: Apache Thrift: -h sdr-dev -p 38644
Ran 5 tests in 0.511s

OK
address@hidden:~/gr_examples$ ./qa_ctrlport_probes.py
INFO: Apache Thrift: -h sdr-dev -p 48394
Ran 5 tests in 0.510s

OK

What could be the cause?  I thought I should share because it is a new release and is in testing stage.

--
Bob

There is a bug in Thrift 0.9.2 that I'm going to guess is the cause of that seg fault. See our notes on building Thrift and the patch that we have for it:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ControlPort

I believe that patch has been accepted, but after the 0.9.2 release.

Tom