[Discuss-gnuradio] Filters in GNU Radio

From: Richard Bell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filters in GNU Radio
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:20:39 -0700

Am I correct in concluding when I use fir_filter_fff to filter, that because it uses its own memory space, I don't need to use set_history and worry about boundary crossing between calls to work? Will the output of the filter behave as expected across work call boundaries if I keep passing samples to the filter?

As an example, suppose the following:
1) complete input data set to be filtered, 10 samples long: [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
2) noutput_items = 2 always
3) filter is 3 taps long with values: [1/3 1/3 1/3]

for(int nn = 0; nn < noutput_items; nn++)
{
    out[nn] = d_shape_filter->filter(&in[nn]);
}

Will this snippet produce what you would think should be produced, a running average over the latest three input values?

Rich