Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK: fast way to log10()?

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK: fast way to log10()?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:20:51 -0700

On 16.09.2015 13:29, West, Nathan wrote:
> There is a volk_32f_s32f_multiply_32f. It doesn't operate in-place, but
> almost none of the VOLK kernels do. I think it's safe to give the same
> output buffer as input buffer. (I've heard that doing stuff in-place is
> noticeably better, but I've never tested this and I'm a tad skeptical.
> I'll buy someone a beer whenever I see them if they prove me wrong with
>>= 5 kernels)

I've nagged people about this before, but I'd like to make this an
official thing: Put this into the VOLK docs (i.e. state in the contract
that in- and output buffers may be the same) and then include that in
the unit tests, so we don't end up with some arcane ISA that will not
allow this. In-place VOLK calls are very useful for many blocks, and
I've shied away from using them myself in the past just because I wanted
to be sure they'll work in the future.