Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Submitting OOT Module Questions

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Submitting OOT Module Questions
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:10:08 -0400

On 09/23/2015 02:07 PM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
I like keeping the algorithm logic in comments.  I can't count how many times I have optimized something, overwriting the original readable code, then come back in a few months to discover I have no idea how it works anymore.
Months?  Weeks for me :)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On 23.09.2015 10:39, Richard Bell wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of submitting my first OOT module for merge with GNU
> Radio base. It's a log gain AGC which converges much faster then the
> current AGCs when the input signal energy is low. I've read through the
> following link:
> https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development#Contributing-to-GNU-Radio-FAQ
>
> 1) My first question relates to documentation. Up to now, I've added
> documentation into my XML files as <doc></doc> tags. To use Doxygen, am
> I correct to put them in the public *.h file? Is this the only place it
> should go, or should I add it to the XML as well? I've never been able
> to get my documentation to propagate through to the GRC block without
> putting it into the XML, is this a sign of a problem?

You should only need to put your docs in the Doxygen block.

> 2) If I understand the above link correctly, I should fork GNU Radio,
> create a new branch which I might call Log_AGC, add my code to that
> branch and then make a pull request. Am I misunderstanding anything?

That's the way to go. See also
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development

> 3) As far as code style goes, should I avoid using
>
> #define DEBUG
> #ifdef DEBUG
> std::cout << "Debug stuff" << "\n";
> #endif

Absolutely. Please use the logging interface. See also
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_logger.html

> statements to hide debug code? That is what I currently do but I know
> it's not prevalent in the source.
>
> 4) I currently have an Optimize option in the GRC block which picks
> between the way you would write the block if you just used standard C++
> statements (not optimized) and if you use Volk (optimized). Using
> control ports to compare the two, there is an improvement with volk. But
> I like that someone looking into the block can see how not to do it and
> then how to do it. Good for beginners jumping into GNU Radio.

That's noble, but for core GNU Radio stuff it's probably best if you
stick with the VOLK implementation.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob