[Discuss-gnuradio] Accessing write_eo, write_io in GRC.

From: Kathy Hertzog
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Accessing write_eo, write_io in GRC.
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:24:06 -0700

Hi everyone!
I have a GNURadio project running on Kubuntu 14.04 using  GNURadio Companion   v3.7.2.1 along with several OOT blocks that I wrote. (I know I'm a bit behind on the releases.) A lot of the code was originally written in v3.6 so some of what follows may be me conflating old interface with newer.

I have custom hardware that uses Ettus USRP boards. I've been bypassing the custom front-end and just adjusting the expected center frequency on the UHD: USRP Source block but now I'd like to actually control the hardware. That means I'd like to access the write_eo() and write_io() calls so I can enable and initialize the output pins on the USRP and write to an external PLL LO for down conversion to set frequency.

My 3.6-based code just called write_io from the usrp instance in C++ code.

But I can't figure out how to get to the USRP write_eo and write_io calls from a 3.7.2.1 GNURadio Companion starting point. I've tried adding code to the Python output of GRC like this:

   ###
   self.u = uhd.usrp_source( device_addr="fpga=usrp1_fpga_4rx.rbf",
                                          stream_args=uhd.stream-args(cpu_format="fc32",
                                                                 channels=range(4),),)

   # I added this line to GNURadio Companion output code
   self.u.write_oe (1, 0xFFFF, 0xFFFF)
   ###

but Python can't find the write_oe or write_io methods.

Am I missing an import in Python? A path?  Is there anyway to do this in the GRC blocks so I don't have to modify the output Python? Do I have to do this as an OOT block and call the uhd usrp make myself? (although I don't see the write_io or write_oe methods in usrp_source.h anymore)

Thanks in advance,
Kathy Hertzog