Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding constellation (0, 1-1) using gnuradio

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding constellation (0, 1-1) using gnuradio
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:31:54 +0200

Hi Abhinav,

the problem is that you're not doing BPSK, really. It's an Amplitude shift keying, if you want so.
Two things:
* you might want to consider what AGC2 does while you're transmitting zeros -- it will increase amplification until noise scales up to signal power. What you're getting after that will more or less be useless, unless your AGC is really set to be slow (I don't think so, according to the attack rate of 6/100).
* you're throwing a FLL at your signal -- which would be fine, if there was definitely a carrier. I don't see how that should work for a signal that's zero most of the time.
* Assuming the polyphase clock synth did work with such a signal, the resulting signal would still contain a symbol that was '0', and hence had random phase (the phase of the additive noise at the sampling time). Hence, the costas loop can't do anything reasonable about that.

If I understand you correctly, however, you *actually* want to do BPSK, and the 0 symbol is just a "filler" in between symbols, right? That might actually work, if you just increase the rolloff duration/samples per symbol of your pulse shaping filter.

So, I think it might be best to explain what kind of system you're trying to build, so that we can understand that better!

Best regards,
Marcus