Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] I am looking for uPHYLA and has anyone heard abou

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] I am looking for uPHYLA and has anyone heard about it?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 19:51:31 +0200

Hi Jeon,

as the abstract explains:

By combining the use of the Universal Software Radio Peripheral version 2 (USRP2) with a generic object-oriented framework of our own built on top of the GNU Radio software framework, we have been able to quickly implement a working proof of concept of an Uplink (UL) Filterbank Multicarrier (FBMC) receiver,[...]

Which means, it's something built atop of GNU Radio, not something like GNU Radio; it has a limited scope.

However, I don't really agree with some of the statements made in that paper; namely, they claim to make development easier by only doing

Mainly, this is achieved with the only use of a high level programming language (C++) instead of the intensive use GNU Radio makes of the Python scripting language.

 followed by a paragraph of software design buzzwording, which made me sceptical. But then I read on and found this:

The UL FBMC receiver demonstrator has been developed under the 64bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 and the GNU Radio framework version 3.2.2...

GNU Radio 3.2.2 is ancient; the semantics of usage were pretty different back then, USRPs were not talked to using the gr-uhd component, but libusrp (which isn't capable of talking to any modern USRP), and things like message passing, stream tags and control port weren't there. In conclusion: It's hopelessly incompatible with modern GNU Radio, and modern USRPs. The perceived usability advantage that it might have had over building one's own transceiver directly with GNU Radio is probably gone, because GNU Radio got so much more usable. It probably was a nice framework at that time, but I doubt you'll be able to make much use of either the algorithms or the design approach decision made back then.

Best regards,
Marcus