[Discuss-gnuradio] Weird install problem, GR 3.7.8.1

From: John Coppens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Weird install problem, GR 3.7.8.1
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:03:42 -0300

Hello all.

I've compiled and installed the last version on my home PC and on the notebook.
Both under Linux Slackware (mostly version 14.1, some updates to -current). Both
run gcc 4.9.x, Python 2.7.10. Both are AMD64 systems.

On the PC all is well, but on the notebook I have some strange issues with
Gnuradio-companion.

1) The block list (right of the screen) is partially warbled. I mean, some
of the block category titles are split into letters, each letter a new sub
directory of the previous letter. Eg: NOAA appears as N/O/A/A/, and the
actual blocks are in the last A/ subdirectory. One category appears in
both forms, i.e. as a normal name and as a garbled name.
   If the category contains sub-categories, such as Instrumentation/Wx then
the garbling continues as I/n/s/t/r/u/m/e/n/t/a/t/i/o/n/W/x/

2) I haven't been able to get rtl-sdr and the osmo driver to appear yet,
even though all test programs for both programs run perfectly and communicate
with the dongle.

3) Contrary to the indications, I had to point PYTHONPATH to Python's
   site-packages directory (not .../dist-package) for GRC to start up.

I've looked over bugs and wiki, and didn't see anything similar (particularly
to 1)), so I do suspect an install problem. However:

- I tried with versions 3.7.5.1 and 3.7.8.1, with the same problems.
- I tried compiling myself, using cmake etc, and tried with the Slackbuild
  script.
- To be sure, I tried removing all traces of previous installs, in
  /usr/local/share, usr/local/lib64, etc
- BTW, no error messages appear in the terminal where I start grc.

I'd  like to have a go at debugging this, but due to gnuradio's size I have
no real idea how to start. Can anyone give me a pointer?

John