Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB/CW/FM tranceiver

From: Tim Rand
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB/CW/FM tranceiver
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:31:53 -0700 (MST)

Hi folks,

I've just spent a couple days reading a lot in here. Finding this thread, a
recent one, talking ham radio gives me an excellent opportunity to join in -
my first post here.

I'm in the process of putting together receive & transmit capability based
on gnuradio. Not a transceiver exactly, but a full station from soup to
nuts. Currently I'm receive-only using a Ham-It-Up converter, an rtlsdr
dongle, Gqrx and a newly constructed mag loop antenna. My plans include
generating SSB via gnuradio and bringing the I & Q signals out to homebrew
balanced modulators, a DDS and a QRP linear.

I was a ham back in 1955-60, let my license lapse & was inactive for several
decades, then just last summer went & got my General. Returning to the hobby
now I find radio just as magical & exciting as when I was a kid. Since I
prefer homebrewing & gadgeteering more than operating on air, I'm building
stuff on the cheap like I did back then but now it's $20 rtl dongles instead
of WWII surplus ARC-5 command sets. Still chewing gum & rubber bands tho.

Actually I may get involved with grc/gnuradio before I tackle making a
transmitter. What brought me to this list was pursuing articles on folks
using two or more rtlsdr dongles for phasing applications. My interests
aren't so much in passive radar or beamforming. I'm sticking with HF bands
for now (mainly 40 meters). I've been researching two-antenna phase
cancellation techniques for RFI noise reduction. Hams have been doing this
with antenna-level RF signals for years. A currently available product is
the MFJ-1026. But I got to thinking about doing the nulling at the IQ signal
level via twin receivers, i.e. dual dongles. Coherent clocking. Much
discussion I've read involves precision measurements but my use case is, I
believe, much more modest. All I'm looking for is letting a 2nd noise
antenna reduce the receive noise floor on an HF ham band. Anyway, I'm
interested in giving this a try.

One more thing: I'm already helping to spread the word about gnuradio. The
graphic art at the top of my YouTube channel has a grc flowgraph along with
other radio items both old & new. I'm working on telling my story about
building up my station via YouTube videos (only a couple up there right
now). If the "diversity" noise cancellation scheme works out that'll be
another video.

Tim  KK6VQQ
YouTube channel:  www.youtube.com/channel/UCCRh9a5sQKd5h8VAfZ_OtWA