Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:34:11 -0500

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Markus Heller <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm very sorry that I cannot join this FOSDEM. I'd love to, but I must
travel to see an old friend of our family who is seriously ill - I
promised to visit him end of January.

I'd like to contradict to Martin's observation. Last year's FOSDEM
clearly showed that around 80% of the GNURadio audience holds an Amateur
Radio callsign.

There are many more HAMs than it seems around here. Keep in mind that we
had a guest list at the UBA / DARC booth and we got around 90
signatures...

I am also pretty sure that it will just be the same for the next
FOSDEM.

vy73
markus
dl8rds

Markus,

First, really too bad you can't make it this year, and we appreciate the hams that are building cool stuff with GNU Radio. However, I wanted to point out that while many of us /have/ an amateur license and call sign, there's a different question of how many really operate at hams? I think that second number in our project is significantly lower.

This isn't meant to discourage anyone here. I just thought that should be more clear.

Tom