Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trigger 5GHz-WLAN radar detection?

From: Markus Heller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trigger 5GHz-WLAN radar detection?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 01:44:45 +0100

you can start to detect the delta time of the pulses, but please also
consider the usual staggering of about 8% in Delta t.

interval times are definitely not constant in order to allow to
distinguish between second time round signals that fall into the next
pulse period, i.e. which come from outside the radar range.

The method to tell them from echos from objects within the intrumented
radar range is a staggering scheme, by changing the moment of the
pulse.

PRFs can vary greatly. Coastal radars generally have a lower PRF
(~1500), river radars have around 3000 and short range radars may have
quite hight PRFs (5000-8000) or even higher.

The PRF depends greatly of the instrumented radar range. Radial offset
of 150km will allow a maximum prf of 1000 at most. Lower is better.
Whereas an intrumented radar range of 150m will allow a theoretical PRF
of 1*10⁶.

Another factor for the PRF is the magnetron lifetime. Generally any
radar operator will set the PRF as low as necessary.

Other modern radars (solid state) however rather use frequency shifts
and therefore generally transmit for longer periods in order to extend
lifetime of the PA stage. That's a completely different strategy again
which would exceed an explanation attempt in an email.

br / vy73
markus
dl8rds