Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS decoding ?

From: Kevin McQuiggin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS decoding ?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:54:49 -0800

Hi Jean-Michel:

Certainly!  It took me a couple of months of reading, experimentation and
head-scratching to figure the DSP side of RDS reception out.  I had a bit of
help from a couple of people on the [discuss-gnuradio] list as well.

The GRC is at home, I will post it to the list (or a pointer to it) when I get
back from my outing this morning.  I am a newbie though, so I am sure that the
experts on the list will find several improvements.

Like hardware radio, I find it very interesting that there can be several “ways
to do it” for a particular problem.

You will find that the next challenge, after you get the RDS data side working,
is to write the program that does the group detection, then frame
synchronization, error detection, and data extraction.  I wrote my program in
C, and it is about 1000 lines of code.  I started small and built it up from
there.  Currently it is working very well for several types of RDS frame.

I was in SE Asia on holiday for a few weeks with my wife and was able to use
the time to develop most of this code.  That’s MY kind of vacation!

I use a TCP Sink in GRC to deliver the RDS data from the flowgraph to the C
program.  The C program opens a socket and reads the data stream from it.
Terminal output is through the ncurses package.

You will need to read about the RDS spec both for the flowgraph (physical
layer) and for the data interpretation.  I used the official RDS/RBDS
specification document to develop my code.  I will send you a link to it as
well.

For this stage, I would recommend checking out the work done by Oona Räisänen.
Her web site is http://www.windytan.com, and she has several informative posts
about RDS.

Kevin