Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Message Input port in hierarchical block

From: Joe K
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Message Input port in hierarchical block
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:35:27 -0800

Kartik,

As far as I am aware, hierarchical blocks cannot process messages.  I ran
into the same issue, because I had a hierarchical block with several child
blocks, and it needed to do some control operations to the child blocks
dependent on a received message, without those blocks "understanding" or
caring about the contents of the message.

My workaround was to create a new variety of block that did nothing but
receive arbitrary messages, and then routed them back up to the hierarchical
block by calling a function in the hierarchical block.  It is kludgey, but
it works.

There are definitely use cases for having message handlers in hierarchical
blocks, but I don't know the underlying code well enough to know if it would
be straightforward to add message handling support to standard hierarchical
blocks.

Joe