[Discuss-gnuradio] Remote Control Question, Control Ports?

From: Richard Bell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Remote Control Question, Control Ports?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 09:40:41 -0800

Hey all,

 I just started writing a python script that will control two radios via Ethernet to conduct various tests. Each radio has its own computer and the receiver is considered the master (it will make all the control decisions).

There will be two python scripts handshaking with each other, to do things like this:

1) Assume both computers are on and listening to a socket, I don't want to worry about setting this part up programmatically.

2) I start the receiver script manually

3) The receiver radio starts listening and  sends a command to the transmitter computer to start transmitting

4) The transmitter computer receives the message to start sending, and starts sending. While sending data, it is listening for a command to stop.

5) The receiver reaches some DONE condition, stops itself and sends a command to the transmitter to stop and reconfigure for the next test.

6) The process starts over again

It occurred to me that control ports might be what I want to use to do this stuff, instead of going a pure python route. Would someone recommend a course of action that stays as close to GNU Radio as possible. The more contained the better. I'd like to use tools that are intended for this type of thing if they already exist in GNU Radio.

Thanks,
Rich