Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ZeroMQ and Polar test failures on maint

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ZeroMQ and Polar test failures on maint
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:25:46 -0500

On Fri, 2016-02-19 at 12:01 -0500, address@hidden
wrote:
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:05:29 -0500
> From: Raj Bhattacharjea
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] ZeroMQ and Polar test failures on maint

> All,
>
> I've just checked out and built gnuradio 3.7.9.1 (maint branch) from
> git
> today, and "make test" gives me the following failures:
>
> The following tests FAILED:
>      81 - qa_polar_decoder_sc_systematic (Failed)
>      82 - qa_polar_decoder_sc_list (Failed)
>      84 - qa_polar_encoder (Failed)
>      87 - qa_polar_encoder_systematic (Failed)
>      88 - qa_polar_decoder_sc (Failed)
>     205 - qa_zeromq_pushpull (Failed)
>     206 - qa_zeromq_pub (Failed)
>     207 - qa_zeromq_pubsub (Failed)
>     208 - qa_zeromq_reqrep (Failed)
>
> I'm on Xubuntu 14.04, Linux 3.13.0, x86_64 arch with dual Xeons, and gcc
> 4.8.4. Other relevant details are in the attached cmake output.
>
> I've seen the zeromq errors for quite a while when building versions of
> GNUradio, but polar FEC seems to be a newer feature and the tests are not
> passing. I always ignored the zeromq failures, but now that the list of
> failures has grown, I'm thinking I should figure this out.

Don't think too hard regarding zeromq, as zeromq is allowed to drop
messages under certain circumstances.

If you read the 0MQ Guide, you'll find that with PUB/SUB you're pretty
much guaranteed to lose the first few messages, if no subscribers have
connected yet. http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#toc114

There might be a way to craft better zeromq tests in gnuradio, but
failures from the current gnuradio zeromq tests can be false positives.

-Andy