[Discuss-gnuradio] Avoid "U"nderflow Techniques

From: Simone Ciccia S210664
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoid "U"nderflow Techniques
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:47:19 +0100

Goodmorning Community,

In the following situation

| Software |      |RF            |
| Code     | ---> |Front End     |
|          |      |(Sample_Rate) |

Underflow occurs when the software code does not provide
samples at a constant rate as required by the RF-Front End.
The known solution, able to eliminate Underflows, is clearly speed up
the software code. However, in this discussion I want to understant
if there exist alternative methods, keeping the software as it is.
One thing that comes in my mind is to collect a certain number of processed samples
in a FIFO before starting the RF-front end transmission, ensuring that
there are always samples in the FIFO buffer (clearly for a limited period).

| Software |      | Implement      |      |RF            |
| Code     | ---> | FIFO           | ---> |Front End     |
|          |      |(synch with FE) |      |(Sample_Rate) |

Could it be implemented (if it make sense)?
Can you guide me to implement such block?
(in particular the Forecast, I think it will a general block)

Thank you very much,
simone