Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying code rate

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying code rate
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 08:14:53 +0100

Ah! There's samples per symbol (which I think you're reffering to) and "code rate", which is a term from channel coding theory. Don't confuse the two!

So, the minimum samples per symbol is indeed 2 (everything below wouldn't really have a pulse shape).
If you want higher data rate, increase the sampling rate.

Your questions really indicate that it might really make sense to slightly improve your digital communications basics. I think you should really take the time to read about modulation, constellations, pulse shaping, memoryless channels, symbol error rates, bit error rates, noise, SNR, Eb/N0..., i.e. the first half of a textbook on digital communications. None of what we've discussed are really GNU Radio problems, but things you'd directly deduct from a solid understanding of the theory beneath. Getting that understanding will of course take time, but not having that understanding costs you at least that much time, too.

Best regards,
Marcus