Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] lack of understanding the different formats to st

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] lack of understanding the different formats to store samples
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:13:06 +0100

Exactly that's the case; the "normal" complex type of GNU Radio is really just 32bit floats
IQIQIQIQ...
ie. a single complex is nothing but two consecutive floating point numbers.

WAV files come in all types, encodings and storage quantizations. Typically, the header/tail are much shorter than the data, so if you can deal with how the data is put into your specific WAV, yeah, ignore the header.
For everything else, refer to the wav_file_source (which has only compatibility with very specific WAVs), or learn all the fun that's in that container format.

Cheers,
Marcus

This sounds interesting; I too have been wondering how IQ files worked. I thought it must be alternating I bytes and Q bytes, or with >8-bit radios, I words and Q words. But maybe the packed byte system is right, since I can feed IQ recordings in WAV format directly into GNUradio without stripping the headers.