Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio

From: Martijn Moeling
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:59:40 +0100

Your path seems pretty similar to mine, I started a few years ago with a RTL
dongle and got away with receiving in a few SDR programs available for Mac.
After getting bored by that I installed gnu radio and seemingly quickly I got
success with getting set-up what I needed. Since everybody can receive but we
hams can transmit to I fell in love with the b200mini and bought one. So
created some transmitters (like wbfm stereo with RDS) and as long as it was
"broadcasting" this worked very well. With a 80W amp I was heard and RDS was
decoded remotely.

My next step was to make a simplex nbfm trx so I could use my setup for
communicating over a repeater. I never got this to work as I do not seem to be
able to get the RX/TX switching to work within Grc. I searched and got answers
from this list quickly, Tagged stream. Although I understand the concept, I
never got this working and I have the feeling I miss something. I have a hard
time formulating the question.

The mentioning of the RRC filter is something different and sure I need to get
more theoretical background but my math skills are far away from what is
needed, currently I combine my extremely demanding job with math learning.

As a ham operator, I am interested in a multi mode/band SDR solution which I
can expand with digital modes one by one, up to the point where I can transmit
analog ATV from say a connected frame grabber and I opted for this as my
learning curve. Doing so by looking at examples, related theory etc.

If I only could get my b200mini to switch between RX and TX for simplex
operations I would be a happy man for now.. (Off topic for this thread). But
all examples I found claiming to do so never worked with my setup. (Most seem
to switch to null sinks to stop transmitting)

General:
I completely agree with all of the two cents everyone has send. Although not
everybody is getting that deep into it to make use of gnu radio, as said I want
my usrp to replace my dedicated rigs.

Martijn

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad