Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:22:06 -0400

On 03/23/2016 10:08 PM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
Derek is spot on.  0 dB into any USRP is screaming loud.  Most of the units are very sensitive, so it's perfectly fine to err on the side of too much attenuation to start and dial the gain as you need.  It depends on the USRP type, but signals much above -15dB can physically damage the hardware if you set the gain too high.
I'd actually said most of this to Tom privately, but forgot to copy the list.

It's instructive to consider what kind of "normal" signals one might expect to receive on a receiver intended to be connected to an antenna.

Consider your average +70dBm (10kW) FM station.    10km away from the TX, we expect about 90dB path loss, which means that the
  theoretical power seen by your antenna would be about -20dBm.  Perhaps a bit more, since the TX antenna won't be strictly isotropic.

At 50km away, that's 100dB of path loss, giving about -30dBm at your antenna terminals (ballpark, hand-waving).  Now, a signal of
  -30dBm is actually considered fairly strong, and your typical FM receiver will produce a very nice, nearly-noise-free output from
  signals entering your antenna at levels of -30dBm.

The RX inputs of most SDRs (Ettus radio are no exception) are designed for the kinds of signal levels that are typical in "connected to
  an antenna" environment.  They are less well suited to "connected to a laboratory signal generator", without significant attenuation.

The RF signal levels floating around in a lab are typically much "louder" than you might find "on air", so if one is used to lab conditions,
  it may not be obvious that a sensitive receiver designed for "from the air" reception would be unhappy in laboratory signal-level
  conditions.  So, keep the levels very modest indeed.