Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600

From: Tom Golden
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 08:31:48 -0600

Thanks Andy.  I changed the hdlc_flag_nrzi to:

[0]+[1]*6+[0]+[0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1]

The frame byte is 0x7E and 0x84 (LSB first) is the first address byte.  I'm not sure if you used 7 ones instead of 6 on purpose.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Andy Walls <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2016-03-25 at 11:07 -0600, Tom Golden wrote:

> AX.25 data is NRZI encoded (so inverse bits and then NRZ).  I hand
> calculated the HDLC frame start byte and first few address bytes so
> the corr_est only triggers at the start of the packet.

I've added NRZI decoding and encoding and adjusted the correlation
pattern for the HDLC flag in the attached.

>   Seems to trigger but I had to lower the threshold down to .390.

Something seems wrong.  Look at how a build the preamble samples in my
flowgraph.  Since I use the GMSK Modulator to build the preamble
samples, it has a bit of a delay, and I have to discard the first 1.5
symbols or so of samples.  (GMSK with L=4).

Also note, that unlike PSK, which will correlate to both the normal and
inverted preamble (since it's just a 180 phase shift), for FSK the
corr_est block will only correlate to the version of the preamble you
specify, and not the inverted one (different frequencies don't
correlate).

> I have a separate program I'm using to check for the bit pattern I'm
> sending (0xA5, 0xA5, ...).  It checks against raw, nrz, and nrzi to
> see if the pattern is present.  It's present in 2 bytes and the data
> after those 2 bytes is wrong but consistent - which I think points to
> a timing issue.
>

> I think the fact that I had to reduce the threshold down to 0.390
> points to the same issue as the bits not coming out correctly.

I'm not sure.  I added the HDLC deframer in the flowgraph to decode the
packet bytes for you.  It won't spit out anything though, if the CRC
check fails.  You may want to hack the block to output data even when
the CRC fails; just to see if things look sane.

The HDLC deframer was originally used for AIS, but it will generically
deframe any HDLC (hopefully!).

-Regards,
Andy