Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compiling Documentation with an OOT

From: Koslowski, Sebastian (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compiling Documentation with an OOT
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:10:48 +0200

On 03/30/2016 10:54 PM, Richard Bell wrote:
I've asked this question a few times now on the mailing list, and each time I hope a different answer comes through. Each time though it's the answer Ron gave, which never works for me. I can't figure it out. So I've always resorted to the xml tags to get documentation into GRC, but for the reasons Tom just mentioned, would rather not do that. Hoping someday I figure this out.

Rich

To help track this down, you could check if your documentation makes it into the docstring of your SWIGged block class.
If it does here is what GRC does (see https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/grc/python/extract_docs.py):

To get the docstring into GRC involves some guess work. GRC has to find both the module and the name of your block class from the info in the the XML.

The current behavior is
- to run whatever you put in the <import> tags
- extract the class name from <make> by taking everything up to the first '('
- check if objects like this exist and have a docstring

As a fail-over there is the old strategy which
- guesses module and class names from the block <key> by splitting at the '_' and trying different combinations
- import the module
- check for matching class objects and their docstrings

Both try to take templated class names into account, like blocks with different type suffixes (add_const_....). In these cases all docstrings are fetched and, depending on on the parameters you set for a block, filtered to show only matching ones, if possible.

Hope this helps.

Sebastian