Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] radio astronomy fast radio burst

From: Dan McKenna
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] radio astronomy fast radio burst
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 08:14:04 -0700

Marcus,

Thank you for your replies

Yes, No way with a dipole at a signal flux of 30J

In discussions with two of our faculty members I was told that
the bursts can be 10,000 J and attempts to find an afterglow
have not yielded certain results.

it is not known if any big antenna was really pointing at the burst such
that the real gain of the antenna relative to the source position is known.

This project is looking for the Big Bursts

Yes the V/UHF bands are very busy so the big key is the identification of
a burst that sweeps through the 10 Mhz bandwidth within certain criteria.

The network would then be used to further process events using time of arrival
as the second filter.

We would also like to make this work using two orthogonally polarized antennas

Does this seem more reasonable?

D.

The Lorimer burst was 30Jy peak, lasting only a few milliseconds. You
need instruments with *large* effective apertures to "see" such an
   event, and I have doubts about the ability to use a mere ca 20
dipoles globally distributed to synthesize such an aperture.  Most of the
   FRB events that have been logged are a *lot* smaller than the Lorimer
event.  Since those stations would likely not be phase-coherent,
   then any spectra adding would only improve sensitivity by
sqrt(N)--you don't get to effectively use the sum of the effective
apertures of
   the individual stations.

The CHIME observatory, currently entering early operations near
Penticton, BC, has FRBs as a secondary objective, and their antenna
   can hardly be described as "a dipole or two".

But, you're the astronomer, so perhaps there's something critical that
I've missed...